Copyright (c) 2020 Paul Omogie All Right Reserved

Thursday, 20 August 2026

Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

A man identified as Emmanuel Etim has allegedly set his mother, Mrs Atim Eyo, on fire after accusing her of being responsible for the death of his daughter in an alleged case of witchcraft branding.

The Incident occurred on Friday, August 14, 2026, in Ojuah, Akamkpa Local Government Area of Cross River State, when Etim reportedly travelled to his mother’s residence carrying about four litres of fuel and a lighter.

According to an eyewitness who pleaded anonymity, Etim arrived at his mother’s house following the death of his daughter earlier that day. He later confronted his mother, accusing her of causing the child’s death and demanding to know what he had done to her to warrant such an act.

The eyewitness said, “The situation escalated when Etim stood up from his chair and attempted to strangle his mother. Etim confronted his mother and accused her of causing the child’s death.”

The victim reportedly broke free and attempted to flee, but Etim allegedly poured fuel on her and set her ablaze.

Neighbours who witnessed the incident quickly intervened and succeeded in putting out the fire before rushing the victim to a hospital for medical attention.

Confirming the incident, the Cross River State Police Command spokesperson, ASP Sunday Eitokpah, said in a statement issued to journalists in Calabar on Wednesday that the incident occurred.

He, however, disclosed that the command was making concerted efforts to apprehend the suspect, who is currently at large, to enable him to answer to the allegations against him.

“The unfortunate incident did occur as alleged in the report. However, the Police Command is currently making concerted efforts to apprehend the suspect, who is presently at large, to enable him to answer to the allegations against him,” he said.

Eitokpah stressed that further information would be communicated to the public once the suspect was apprehended and the facts of the matter were further established.





Why Ogogo can’t be moved from hospital for spiritual treatment — Jide Kosoko

Veteran actor Jide Kosoko has appealed to fans and colleagues to continue praying for ailing actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, saying his medical condition currently makes it impossible to move him from the hospital where he is receiving treatment.

Kosoko made the appeal in a statement shared on his Instagram page on Wednesday, speaking on behalf of Hassan’s family and colleagues.

He expressed appreciation for the overwhelming support and offers of assistance received since news of Hassan’s illness emerged.

According to him, more than 300, and possibly over 500 people, have offered different forms of assistance, with many believing they have treatments or interventions that could help the actor.

“We have received offers from more than 300, and even over 500 people, each sincerely believing that they have something that could help him,” Kosoko stated. 

“The challenge is simply: Where do we take him to? And how do we move him from the hospital while he is receiving care?”

Kosoko also appealed to individuals who had offered traditional, spiritual or specialised treatments not to take offence at the family’s decision to keep Hassan at his current hospital.

He urged supporters to continue praying for the actor as his family and colleagues navigate the situation.

“Please, do not feel offended or disappointed if we are unable to bring Ogogo to you for spiritual assistance or treatment. It is extremely difficult to move him from the hospital to different locations at this stage of his treatment, especially considering the large number of people who have offered to help,” he said.

“Please understand that our inability to bring him to anyone does not mean that we do not appreciate you, nor does it mean that we doubt your intentions or your desire to help. On the contrary, we are deeply touched by the overwhelming love and concern that people across the world have shown towards him.

“Therefore, we encourage you to continue doing whatever you can from your respective locations and comfort zones. Keep praying. Keep supporting us. Keep believing with us.”

The appeal follows growing public concern over Ogogo’s health after his daughters, Shakira and Haleemah Hassan, shared an emotional video revealing that their father is battling stage-four cancer.

The Nation reported that their initial cry for help in securing specialised care sparked widespread support across Nollywood and on social media, with actors including Femi Adebayo and Toyin Abraham leading mobilisation efforts.

A medical expert also noted that treatment at stage four centres on palliative care to manage pain and improve quality of life, and cautioned against unverified herbal remedies that could worsen his condition.

In his statement, Kosoko confirmed that Ogogo remains under hospital care and urged the public to support the family through prayers.

Osun: Davido clarifies alleged attack on Adeleke’s convoy

Afrobeats superstar, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has clarified reports of an alleged attack on the convoy of Osun Governor, Ademola Adeleke.

Reports had emerged that suspected hoodlums engaged security personnel attached to the governor’s convoy in a gun battle at the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, on Wednesday.

The Incident was said to have occurred shortly after Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and visited the monarch’s palace to celebrate his electoral victory.

However, Davido, in a post on his verified X handle on Wednesday evening, dismissed reports linking the reported fight to the governor’s convoy.

According to him, the incident occurred outside the palace and had nothing to do with the governor or his entourage.

“Lies! It was a fight outside the palace that had nothing to do with us. The people love his excellency,” he wrote.

The clarification came amid reports of heightened activity around the palace following the governor’s visit after his victory in the recent Osun State governorship election.

Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Poco Lee reportedly arrested in UK over rape allegation

Nigerian singer and dancer Poco Lee has reportedly been arrested in the United Kingdom over an allegation of rape, according to reports circulating online.

The report, which has sparked reactions across social media, claims the entertainer was arrested in connection with an alleged sexual offence in the UK.

However, details surrounding the reported arrest, including the identity of the alleged victim, the circumstances of the allegation and whether formal charges have been filed, remain unclear.

The claim has yet to be independently verified through an official statement from UK law enforcement authorities or a court.

Poco Lee, whose real name is Iweh Pascal Odinaka, is a prominent Nigerian dancer and singer who rose to fame through his dance performances before establishing himself in the music industry.

He has collaborated with several leading Nigerian artistes and has built a significant following through his music, dance performances and social media presence.

The reported arrest comes amid growing attention to allegations involving public figures, with social media frequently becoming a source of breaking claims before details are officially confirmed.

Until further information is released by the relevant authorities, the allegation against Poco Lee remains a report and should not be treated as a proven criminal offence.

Further details are expected to emerge if UK authorities or legal representatives for the entertainer issue statements regarding the reported incident.



Youth Development Takes Centre Stage As Commissioner Wasilat Adegoke Adefemi Visits DG Youth Mobilisation Kazeem Bolarinwa

The Honourable Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Hon. Wasilat Adegoke Adefemi, paid a strategic and impactful visit to the Director-General of Youth Mobilisation, Hon. Kazeem Bolarinwa, in a meeting focused on the future, welfare and empowerment of young people.

The meeting provided a valuable platform for both leaders to engage in meaningful discussions on issues affecting the youth constituency, with particular attention given to the challenges confronting young people and practical ways to address them.

The discussions centred around the need for stronger youth engagement, empowerment opportunities, inclusive participation, skills development and policies that will create a better environment for young people to thrive. Both leaders acknowledged that the youth remain a critical force in the development and progress of any society and must therefore be given the necessary support, opportunities and platforms to contribute meaningfully.

Hon. Kazeem Bolarinwa appreciated the Commissioner for the visit and for her commitment to matters concerning young people. He emphasised the importance of continuous collaboration between stakeholders in order to identify the real needs of the youth and develop sustainable solutions that will positively impact their lives.

The meeting also highlighted the importance of taking youth-focused initiatives beyond discussions and turning ideas into concrete programmes and opportunities that can improve the lives of young people across the state.

Hon. Wasilat Adegoke Adefemi, on her part, reiterated the importance of listening to young people, understanding their concerns and working collectively towards addressing the challenges confronting the youth constituency.

The engagement ended on a positive note, with both leaders reaffirming their commitment to deeper collaboration, stronger youth mobilisation and purposeful initiatives that will place the interests and aspirations of young people at the heart of development.

When leaders listen to the youth, progress becomes possible. When leaders work with the youth, the future becomes brighter.

The conversation continues, the vision remains clear, and the commitment to a stronger and more empowered youth constituency is unwavering.



Man sets mother on fire in Cross River over witchcraft accusation

A man identified as Emmanuel Etim has allegedly set his mother, Mrs Atim Eyo, on fire after accusing her of being responsible for the death ...